Dogs are part of most of the families in the country. People get a dog for various reasons, such as a companion for their kids or themselves, as therapy dogs or as assist dogs for disabled people. Many people keep a dog as a pet because they just love dogs and cannot be without them at all. At the same time, some people keep a dog as a pet and train the dogs so that they become show dogs and demonstrate their abilities in various dog shows. If you have bought a puppy that you want to train as a show dog, then you can be successful in this goal if you follow the tips given below.
The training to make a dog as a show dog can be enjoyable for the owner as well as the dog if it is taken in a proper way. Such training will help in strengthening the bond between the dog and its owner, and it will also bring out the abilities of the dog to the forefront so that it can get recognition and praise from other people.
How to train your dog to be a show dog?
- Before you start training your dog and investing a lot of efforts, time as well as money in its training, you have to make sure that your dog is eligible to participate in the various dog shows. This is necessary because different dog clubs have different criteria for participation and you must be aware of those rules before beginning to train your dog.
- A show dog must be able to interact with new people and adjust to new places, and therefore you should make it a point to take your dog everywhere you go, such as restaurants, train stations, but stops, long journeys, etc. This way your dog will get used to the new surroundings and unfamiliar environment. This will surely help it in the dog shows.
- Having a professional trainer or handler to train your dog is the next step so that your dog can be trained in the most professional manner that will benefit it and will increase its chances of winning in the dog shows. You can also attend the conformation training calluses so that you can take help of professionals to judge the level of training and conformation of your dog.
- Taking care of the health and fitness of the dog is another aspect of dog training because you don’t want your dog to become obese or lethargic. Follow the diet strictly and adequately and make sure that you are offering it adequate exercise. Ensuring that your dog looks good is also important, and therefore make sure its coat is healthy and shiny without any stains.
- Always make sure that the bond between your dog and yourself is strong, and your dog is aware of that fact that you love it as a family member. Appreciation in forms of treats and other gestures is important for the emotional wellbeing of your dog.